Monday, December 14, 2009

** The Most Delicious Lasagna **

Nothing can top mom's lasagna... but this comes darn close! I'm a veggie loving fanatic and Mike doesn't do much veggies at all! For this tower of lasagna goodness I split it half and half. This was the perfect meal after a long snowy day! Customize it to fit your tastes... or try it as it is :)


Ingredients you will need-
1 Box dry lasagna noodles
1/3 cup parmesan/Italian blend cheese (I used a blend of parmesan, provolone, asiago, and romano.. feel free to make it cheesier to please you!)
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 egg
Olive oil
15 ounces of ricotta cheese
1/2 cup turkey sausage
1 cup ground beef
1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
2 cloves of garlic (possibly more depending on your taste)
4 carrots shredded
1-2 zucchini shredded
8 button mushrooms
About two good handfuls of fresh baby spinach
2 tablespoons fresh basil



First things first! Let's start the lasagna noodles! Heat your pot of water to a boil and then salt your water and add a tad bit of oil.


Once it's a raging boil add your noodles. I add the whole box... I don't usually need all of the noodles, but it's best to have more, than not enough!

While your noodles are cooking (about 12 mins) go ahead and get your 9inch spring form pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside and start on your meat!

I used turkey sausage and ground sirloin. The combination is perfect for this dish... Just enough flavor from the turkey sausage, but not overwhelming. (Not to mention much healthier than the pork sausages) Cook your meat until browned and then set aside in a separate bowl.

'hello meatsss'

Get goin on the veggies!

Shred up your carrots. ('what's up doc')


And now the zucchini....

*Pretty*

Chop up your garlic real fine.. or grate it like I did :) Then toss it in the bowl!

Since I only did half of my lasagna with veggies I used about 4 mushrooms.. Go ahead and double it for the whole thing.


Take your carrots, garlic, zucchini and mushrooms and throw them into your pan (It should still have the good stuff from the meat ;0) .. the 'drippins') Saute them on about medium high until tender, then add your spinach.



Cook just until spinach wilts... Then remove to another bowl

Your noodles should definitely be done by now. Drain them and rinse them in cool water. Set them a side. 'See you soon noodles!'


Mmmm Basil! Tear off a few leaves of your basil and chop them up finely.


Stir them in to your veggie mixture.


Now start on our cheese mixture! Mix your ricotta, egg, and some of your parmesan cheese mix.

Ready to go! :)


Now we can start layering our lasagna! First add about 1/4 cup of sauce to the bottom of your pan. Then, put down your layer of noodles, a layer of veggies and meat, some ricotta mixture, more sauce, mozzarella, and then noodles again.


Keep layering...Yum! The veggie half is mine! ;0)


Notice I cut my noodles to fit the pan better. You can do this if you want.. or just stuff em in there.. hehe

More cheese please! I loaded this thing with cheese!.. Some mozzarella.. and some of the parmesan mixture..

Hmm... looks kinda like a Chicago deep dish pizza lol

Say cheeeeeeese! .. Ok.. that was 'cheesy!' hehe.. No, really, I'll stop now.. lol

By now your work area should look like a bomb site lol

Pop your lovely lasagna in the oven @ 375ยบ for about an hour or until heated through.

Hellooooo tasty!


Layer... by layer.. by gorgeous layer

I didn't have much time to take pics.. by this time my stomach was ready to pounce!

Alright, Your turn!!! Get cookin ♨

Free Signature Generator

1 comment:

Margie said...

This looks great! Why do I look at your site right before lunch?? I love the use of the spring form pan! I would have never thought to have used this. I'll give this a go after the holidays. I need to pace myself :)