Monday, October 26, 2009

*Trier* (Pt deux) La Porta Nigra

La Porta Nigra!

This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time!
You're walking in the city and BAM! Big ol' Roman architecture right in front of you!

Porta Nigra is known as the "Black Gate" because of color of the sandstone used to build it. It is the North entrance to the city of Trier.  (I guess you can see the backwards route we took hehehe)

As you enter these are the stairs that take you into the inside of Porta Nigra. It was dimly lit and beautiful! I could picture myself as a Roman Goddess walking up to overlook the city lol

Here's a view down the center. I wish you could see just how massive and detailed this building was. It must have taken a lot of hard work to put this together.























Looking down at the gate entrance put me back thousands of years! I can imagine the Romans dumping hot things onto the people locked in this area.. and shooting arrows from wear I stood.

If you get lucky, you may see people dressed as Romans reenacting history. Too bad this guy was speaking French :(





















There is soooo much more to see, but I'll leave you a reason to visit yourself!
I have a few more pics in Part 3 ... On the way to the colesium!

No comments: