Friday, June 1, 2007

Under Constructions post...

I LOVE to eat.. so making this welcome home cake for my dad was a blast..
I've never actually decorated a cake like this before, so it was quite an adventure making everything from scratch and using new decorating techniques.. :) (fondant..)

My chocolate almond chip icing.... This tasted and smelled awesome. I never made a good butter cream before, but with tips from some of my favorite blogs this came together perfectly.. all I had to do was get creative with flavoring! :) And, boy did the flavor rock my sockz..

Marshmallow fondant. I've never tried fondant before because I've heard that the taste isn't pleasant.. but I really wanted to use it to decorate my dad's cake... AND since I'm no expert.. I wanted something easy.
It was an alternative to the normal fondant and it was SO easy and delicious!!! (I am honestly surprised that any of it made it onto the cake lol.. I swear I was picking at it every five seconds) mmmm... my childhood fantasy... play dough you can eat. :)
Here it is when I first put it onto my cake.. I had NO clue what the heck I was doing!!!! (This is before I trimmed the excess)
mmm.. this cake was amazingly rich and delicious..
It was actually my 2nd cake... (The first one-I spent hours on- fell in the center after I took it out and was half cooked.. --not good--) This was a one bowl recipe I found last minute online and, from now on, will be a regular in my kitchen. (if I can find it again!!!!!)
Here's dad with his cake... :::Big Grin:::
"Our Heart Is Home"
YuM... *sigh* Our half eaten piece of heaven.
Me and my soldier.... Stuffed.

No comments: