Thursday, August 2, 2007

I finally had time to make something~!!!




Mike was interested in some peanut butter chocolate pie... So it was my mission to figure out how the hell to make it!
I searched the Internet, but found nothing to suit my fancy.
THEN! I started searching through all of my mother's old cook books... I didn't find a recipe for "peanut butter" chocolate pie... BUT I did find a recipe for "Creamy Chocolate Pie"
So creamy chocolate pie it was!
I had everything already in my cabinet except whipping cream and a pie crust (I was too lazy to make my own pie crust and I had to work,,, so time was an issue)
Here is the simple and easy recipe:
Creamy Chocolate Pie
(Just thought I'd mention that this recipe book is from my birth year.. 1986...wonder if mom was craving desserts? lol)
Ingredients:
1 (9 in) baked pastry shell
3 (1 oz) semi-sweet chocolate squares
1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup hot water
1tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream (and some additional to top pie)
chocolate shavings
Directions-
In a heavy saucepan, over medium heat, melt chocolate with sweetened condensed milk and salt. Cook and stir until very thick and fudgy, 5 to 8 minutes. Add water; cook and stir until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat; Stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes. Chill thoroughly, 20 to 30 minutes; Stir. In large mixer bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff; fold in cooled chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pastry shell. Chill 3 hours or until set. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. (as you can tell from my pictures I just garnished with chocolate shavings :)
** To make it "peanut butter-ish" I smoothed creamy peanut butter on the pie crust before I poured the chocolate mixture into the pie shell :)
From what I tasted in the mixing bowl, it was DELICIOUS.. but we'll find out when my Mike gets home today and trys it!
Let me know if you try it out and how it went... I'll probably add some mint to it next time...YuM!
Mrs. E

No comments: